Saturday, December 13, 2008

Palindrome (Goat-chasing dogs return)

I live in Port Townsend, just outside the city limits south of the Palindrome, where I have been a resident since the early 1970s. Having spent a good part of my adolescence on ranches, but living much of my adult life in a busy metropolitan city, I have thoroughly enjoyed my choice to reside here. Other than a few exceptions, I have lived here in peace for nearly three decades. Now I am fearful for the safety of my grandchildren, my animals and myself.
http://www.johnbalaban.com/pics/palindrome.gif

Last year on Christmas Day, while I was sitting down to dinner with my family, dogs attacked and severely injured our two little goats, Jolly and Roger. We contacted Animal Control and searched the area ourselves, but were unable to locate the dogs. Not having seen them on our property since that attack, we thought it must have been a one-time event caused by some careless person not leashing their dogs while passing through.

On Monday, Dec. 1 the same dogs returned. They attacked and pulled down Henrey (our very large goat, at more than 160 pounds and more than 4 feet tall at the shoulder), and were in a feeding frenzy while he was still alive.

When confronted, both dogs turned and with a pack mentality, attacked, bit, and tried to pull down a full-grown man.

These dogs are large and appear to be huskies. One is grayish and white; the other is brownish and white. Both have blue eyes and wore silver "pinch" collars with red tags.

Animal control has reopened the investigation and suggested that we use whatever means (including contacting the paper) to gain community support so that we might locate these dogs.

We didn't expect to see the dogs again, but Tuesday, Dec. 2 they came back and were trying to get our little goats. Fortunately, we had put them in an enclosed dog run for their safety after Henrey's attack. These dogs have been classified as dangerous by animal control and they are still out there. Do not try to approach these animals; contact authorities.

Please help us. Anyone that might have any information should contact Sharon McKenzie at 206-883-4164, or animal control at 385-3292. If you know who owns these dogs, please call before they attack again. We would not want it to be your pet or - God forbid - your loved one next.


0 comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About This Blog

Visit Our Site

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP